I have made this at least once a year for the past few years in a row – perfect for cold winter nights! From Taste of Home:
* 1 egg, lightly beaten
* 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
* 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
* 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
* 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) beef broth
* 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) Diced Tomatoes, undrained
* 1 can (14 ounces) Bavarian sauerkraut (sauerkraut with caraway seeds), rinsed and well drained
* 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
* 2 medium carrots, sliced
* 2 celery ribs, sliced
* 1 envelope onion soup mix
* 1 tablespoon sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 1 bay leaf
* In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes; drain.
* Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine the remaining ingredients. Add meatballs. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Discard bay leaf before serving. Yield: 8 servings.
Nutrition Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 279 calories, 12 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 83 mg cholesterol, 931 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 20 g protein.